Breastfeeding has been happening since the beginning of time- well since Adam and Eve became the parents of Cain and Abel, but that doesn't mean our support and education methods should mimic such archaic methods. Don't get me wrong, I do not think that we need to muddy the waters with an overcomplicated message. Just the opposite! The beauty of today's technology, especially with social media at the forefront of daily communication, allows simple, effective and powerful messages to be disseminated with amazing impact! These efforts can create outcomes (my wish list), such as:
- increase awareness of the importance of breastfeeding
- dispel myths of breastfeeding (pain, time commitment
- reduce embarrassment of exposure
- inform mothers of their options when it comes to a "low" milk supply
- alter the "norm" of infant feeding to mother's milk
- increase accessibility of pumping at work sites and not just acceptance, but ENCOURAGEMENT to breastfeed!
- and much more!
Happy Milking Mamas!